To Choose Boccaccio or Not to Choose Boccaccio


I have chosen to study Boccaccio’s “De Mulieribus Clairs”. The literal translation to English is “The Famous Women”. The original manuscript was published in 1374 and is thought to be one of the very first biographies totally dedicated to documenting the feats of women. Primarily the women that are mentioned in the work are women of the past or biblical women. There is little to no reference of modern day women found in the text. The manuscript was translated into a variety of different languages including French and is called the “Des Cleres et Nobles Femmes” which is currently housed at the Bibliotheque Nationale in Paris. This manuscript took up twenty years of Boccaccio’s life and turned into a fond project for him. I found this manuscript after I sent a pleading email to my professors begging for help finding something that I would find interesting enough to pour hours and hours into research, she did not disappoint! She suggested this particular manuscript because I usually focus my projects on textiles and since this manuscript was based on females there was a large quantity of dresses and gowns represented for me to look at and compare.  I honestly didn’t think I was going to be able to work with textiles for this project and am very happily surprised that I get to look at something that I already loved while investigating a subject that I have yet to learn a whole lot about!

No comments:

Post a Comment