The first image I chose to use as a comparison was one of Christine De Pizan's from the 'City of Ladies'. I though that since I am looking at a history of females I should look at a woman who made a lasting name for herself in the manuscript game. I also like that she pays special attention to how women are dressed and I am able to use it as a comparison.
I chose another of Pizan's images ('City of Ladies') solely because I think her style and detail works so well with what I am looking at in Boccaccio's manuscripts. In this particular image I liked that there were textiles in other uses in the room besides clothing. The bedding is just as important as the dresses. I was excited to find an image where I could compare the type of fabric used for different purposes.
This is another Boccaccio manuscript from 1467 entitled 'Decameron'. I thought it would be useful to see some of the other work that Boccaccio did, and it was. Comparing this image to the ones I am studying I see some pretty drastic differences, for one this is much more detailed. The clothing on the figures shows movement and folds much more clearly. There is also a much greater use of fur garments in this image.
This is another Boccaccio manuscript. It is called 'The Fall of Princes' and it more closely resembles the one that I am studying. I feel like looking at these three different Boccaccio's is going to be really helpful. If I can see themes in the garments that appear in all three then I can pretty confidently suspect that it was a trend of the period and I should pay attention to it.
I thought my fifth and final choice should be something to do with typology. I recently learned in another class how important typology was. I think I might be able to learn something by comparing this recently discovered Boccaccio manuscript entitled 'On the Fates of Famous Men' and the other typology in the other manuscripts.





No comments:
Post a Comment